Wednesday 11 February 2015

AWI British Army to date

Well no posts for a loooong time, ordinary life keeps plodding on, I've become a Great Uncle yet again and work is busy, very profitable so I can't complain, but I've been busy painting so the hobby front has been ticking over nicely. I've put together a small expeditionary force and that's how it's going to stay for a while as I've been bitten by another wargaming bug- more of that later.
The first Regiment finished is the 21st Foot, these are Old Glory figures, not everyone's first choice as some of the poses in the bags are, well- just odd!! However I like the look of them and that's good enough for me. These are intended to be used with the Black Powder supplement Revolution, written by my mate Steve Jones.
 
 

 Next up is a howitzer, can be used as a cannon if required. Perry miniatures.
 
 More Perry goodness, a combined Grenadier Battalion, I've put a mounted commander in the ranks for no better reason than I like the look, no historical precedence whatever.

 The native Americans will eventually be added to as I really enjoyed painting these, I think the next batch might get a further wash of 'redness' to emphasise their origins.



I based the Indians on Warbases sabot bases, I can use these for Muskets and Tomahawks too.
 
 These are Perrys in Roundabouts, a shortened plain coat and the trident hat has been flattened out to protect the eyes and neck from the sun. I liked painting these, they were easy with the lack of lace, and look different on the table.

 Again a mounted officer leads the lads into combat.
 
 The main men, a General with his dog and gofer.
 
 A couple of command stands, all these mounted Generals are Old Glory riders on various horses. My favourite horses are by Essex, I've a big box full of 'em, on which I mount as many Generals as will fit them.
 No army- or expeditionary force, would be complete without a mounted arm. I've chose to base these on Tarletons' Dragoons. They've got a good/bad reputation depending on which side you're on. Perrys again and a pleasure to paint.


 This is the full force for now, it will increase in size but not this year I don't think.



After painting uniforms for the last few months, crossbelts, collars and cuffs, lace et al, I've been bitten by the Napoleonic bug again. Napoleonics was my first love for many years, I remember my first Hinchliffe figures with fondness- British Line, unfortunately sold years ago but never forgotten. I've decided to complete a British Peninsular army that I started a couple of years ago, more on this to follow soon-ish.

6 comments:

  1. Really nice work Jim!

    What rules are you using?

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darrell, me and Pete are going to use Black Powder for bigger games and Muskets and Tomahawks for smaller quick games. Like your Shooting Leave blog mate.
      Jim.

      Delete
  2. Great work Jim. You'll have to find us at Salute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, thanks mate, we'll be coming down mob handed so you'll hear us coming before you see us. Let me know what stand you're on and we'll be around.
      Jim.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous, very impressive units!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind comment Phil, very nice blog too. I like the variation of scale you game in.
    Jim.

    ReplyDelete